Friday, December 25, 2009

Letter 12

Dear ANYONE WHO WORKS IN CUSTOMER SERVICE AND IS SHIT.

This is not for the good people. There are many good people who work in Customer Services. The people who look at you and smile and ask how your day is going. The people who seem to actually care if they 'serve their customers', or who do a darn good job of pretending that they care. The people who don't want their customers to leave feeling like shit or on the verge of tears. Admittedly the majority of these people are American or working on commission. HOWEVER the fact remains that they DO exist.

Excuse the overuse of capitalisation today. I actually do feel very strongly about this. Mostly because I've noticed more and more recently how bloody rude people in England are. I don't know whether it's actually getting worse or if it's just been highlighted because I've returned from the U.S.A where, to all accounts, customer service is well known for being a heck of a lot better. Regardless, it is SHIT in England.

I myself have worked in jobs where I deal with customers on a day to day basis. And yes I have become annoyed when faced with irritating or rude people. I have found myself wanting to turn my back on particular customers or kick them in the...ahem. ANYHOW the fact remains that -most of the time- I have done neither of these things nor committed any other customer service faux pas because the truth remains I AM DOING A JOB. As long as nobody is rude to ME as a person, makes a comment or behaves in an unprofessional way or, basically, provokes me in a way that does not fit into what I consider my job description to be, I will fix a smile on my face and deliver a service. Because, as rude as that person may be, they are paying me to do that.

And no I'm not saying that anyone with money should get away with whatever they want. I don't give a damn if it's an Aristocrat or a man spending his last dollar. Uh pound. If they are paying for me to deliver customer service to them, I will darn well give them good customer service. I've spoken to friends, family and ex-boyfriends. I KNOW how annoying it is when someone behaves badly in a restaurant, when they tell you off for something that's not your fault, when they piss and moan that drinks haven't arrived on time, when they yell at you for offering them a phone deal they don't want, when people ask for specific special deals you weren't aware even existed, let alone know how to process them etc. But at the end of the day they're not going to pay you to do something for them AND then try to find the easiest way for you to do it. Perhaps some people will. But probably not many. And definitely not most. If I've ever offended you in a restaurant I'm sorry. However if the steak comes cold or my drink comes late, even though it's not YOUR fault how am I supposed to know this? I've never worked in a restaurant. AND even if it's not your fault it's sure not MY fault. And if you behave like a prat on the telephone to me -or give me dumb information- you're the ONLY person I can get mad at. ESPECIALLY if you don't put me through to the manager.

I'm not saying you should treat Customer Services Staff like shit. I've seen it done, complained when people I'm with do it and don't condone it at all. I admit there's a fine thing between behaving badly and demanding what you're due. However I feel that the old adage 'The Customer is always right' should be applied at least a little more than it currently is. Because -and I suppose I have no idea what customers are like in general nowadays- I have been so offended on my behalf AND for others on a number of occasions recently.

For example, whilst showing friends around London recently we took them to Cafe Nero for coffee and cake. We ran in out of the freezing cold snowy London streets (with a lady who was feeling ill enough to need to stop walking and sit down for a while) and ordered about seven large coffees and four or five food dishes. As the woman was making and passing over cups of coffee my mother asked why she was putting everything into paper cups and not china. The woman replied that we were getting take away as the cafe closed in 5 minutes (not, may I add, at the time shown on the door). When we gestured at the weather and pointed out that she hadn't mentioned this before taking our order, and our money, she mock-gasped, sarcastically said 'Oh no!' and rolled her eyes, before continuing to make the coffee. There was no rhyme nor reason to this response which I personally found rude and offensive. Especially in the Christmas period where I would feel spreading 'good cheer' is the order of the day.

Honestly I don't care if I come across snooty in this blog because I don't feel that I'm asking a lot when I ask for a nice demeanour and good behaviour. I appreciate -and am sure I will continue to suffer- some of the problems of dealing with customers. However, I really feel that UK based employers need to train their staff to behave properly. I find it so hard to find a job nowadays and I find it infuriating when I come face to face with the people doing the jobs I'm not even considered for, and doing so with such bad grace. Similarly, the harder I find it to get a job the less money I have to spend. And I prefer not to blow my last fiver on being treated like crap.

Just a thought

Lucy

1 comment:

  1. You should have spilt the coffee over her and they said, "Oh, how silly of me! It must be the cold weather," before demanding another one.

    Bad customer service should be greeted with bad customership. I would like to point out I have worked in Customer Service; it wasn't always fun, but I did it. I know what it's like. My above statements still holds. If someone is paid to do a job and they should just do it.

    ReplyDelete